[OpenAFS] Re: Trouble setting up first server on FreeBSD 6.0 (fwd)

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:05:26 -0800

Karsten Thygesen <karthy-2004@karthy.net> writes:

> I'm in the same situation - I also have a mix of server and client
> architectures and FreeBSD (6.0) is the preferred platform for most
> things now. This is the showstopper for rolling out OpenAFS in my
> organization.

> It is really a shame, that OpenAFS have no support (and almost no
> interrest) for FreeBSD, but I guess it is driven by the market.

If someone ports OpenAFS to FreeBSD, I'm happy to apply the patches and
help with the non-kernel components.  It's not that we have no interest,
it's that we have no developers.  Someone has to do the hard work of the
kernel port, and unless someone is willing to pay a company like Sine
Nomine to do it, it won't happen until enough developers volunteer.

> Anyway - just wanted to raise the flag - I would be happy to participate
> actively in porting OpenAFS to FreeBSD, but I can not carry the task
> alone.

That's one.  :)