[OpenAFS] Re: directories in afs have "owners"?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:09:44 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>> Lastly, is there any reason for files to have ownership other than
>> preventing dumb users from clobbering their own home directory's
>> permissions?  It seems like there would have been some other way to
>> accomplish this with a smaller "semantic footprint"...

> In AFS, you mean?

Yeah

> Because AFS was supposed to be like the ufs, presumably.

Okay.  I'm just trying to understand the decisions that were made on
where to adhere to UFS semantics (for example, directory ownership)
and where to diverge (last-close-wins, ACLs).  This particular design
decision just seemed to stick out among the others.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380

Q: "Won't the pendulum swing back?"
A: "It has never been a pendulum. Think tectonic plates instead."
                                              -- from patrick.net