[OpenAFS] Re: directories in afs have "owners"?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:18:40 -0800

Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Okay.  I'm just trying to understand the decisions that were made on
> where to adhere to UFS semantics (for example, directory ownership) and
> where to diverge (last-close-wins, ACLs).  This particular design
> decision just seemed to stick out among the others.

It's perhaps more understandable when you realize that AFS was developed
at an academic institution with a regular influx of new students, and one
of the most common things for people unfamiliar with AFS to do is remove
themselves from the ACLs of their own home directories.  This decision
lets them add themselves back without having to contact an AFS
administrator if they own their home directories.