[OpenAFS] AFS-Backup-Limits

Tracy Di Marco White gendalia@gmail.com
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 04:22:43 -0600

On 12/27/05, Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 02:31:34PM -0600, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > We stopped using the AFS backup system two weeks ago.
>
> What were the reasons?

We've been adding several 1.2+ TB servers, and it has become no longer
reasonable to put a tape drive on every server, as we had been doing.=20
Our full backups were taking longer than a day, sometimes three or
four days, and things were set up so that it was more complicated to
do incremental backups while the full backups were running. Moving to
a single backup server that can backup AFS, Unix, Windows, and Novell
may make my life easier.  Eventually.