[OpenAFS] AFS-Backup-Limits

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:54:04 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:

> We've been adding several 1.2+ TB servers, and it has become no longer
> reasonable to put a tape drive on every server, as we had been doing.

You do not have a tape drive on every server. AFS Backup can send its
backup via network to an other afs-backup-server.

> Our full backups were taking longer than a day, sometimes three or
> four days, and things were set up so that it was more complicated to
> do incremental backups while the full backups were running.

This is really ugly. Did you evaluate the reason for that? Are the disks
to slow, or the tape-drives or the system-bus of your server machines?

> Moving to a single backup server that can backup AFS, Unix, Windows,
> and Novell may make my life easier.

I have 3 servers, each having 400 GB Raids (rather small now :-)
Each server_n houses the backup of (server_n+1) mod 3. AFS-Backup can
write to disks too.

But you have to cleanup the backup-db and the dumpfiles manually.

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204