[OpenAFS] OpenAFS with RAID

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:10:16 -0500

On Wednesday, December 28, 2005 03:58:19 PM +0100 Horst Birthelmer
<horst@riback.net> wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2005, at 3:54 PM, John Hascall wrote:
>>> Well that's what i was originally wondering, can AFS provide the
>>> ability
>>> to replicate the contents of one fileserver to others which can be
>>> used
>>> redundantly. It appears not at all; I'd still like to use AFS but
>>> I do
>>> think i'm going to have to go NFS and then some sort of faux raid
>>> 1 for
>>> redundancy.
>>
>> Has anyone tried to run AFS on top of drdb (http://www.drbd.org/)?
>> It seems to me that AFS would be unaware that it was running with
>> a network distributed redundant block device under the /vicepx
>> filesystems.
>
> The namei fileserver is unaware of the file system and device it's
> running on.

True.  However, you cannot run multiple fileservers backed by the _same_
filesystem at the same time -- the AFS fileserver stores large amounts of
state in-core, and having two fileservers running against the same vice
partition at the same time would be a sure way to trash the contents of
that partition.

-- Jeff