[OpenAFS] AFS reporting database

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:24:22 -0800

Hello folks,

I have been mentioning for years at various different AFS conferences and
workshops that we import AFS metadata into a SQL database for reporting.
This mention usually results in a few people asking me for the details,
and I've always had to reluctantly say that we'd never written up the
details.  Over the last week, I finally got a chance to put the details
together.

For the "white paper" about loading AFS metadata into a SQL database, see:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/afs/afsdb.html>

For all of the software that we use, including the schema DDL, our report
driver script, and the reports that we run, see:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/afsdb/>

Note that this software can't be run as-is without changes to at least
paths and database names for your site, but it should hopefully be easy to
track down the required changes.  We use Oracle, but the database
connection is handled by a wrapper Perl module that should make changing
to Sybase, PostgreSQL, or some other database fairly straightforward.
(Several of the reports use sub-selects, so not all versions of MySQL will
be up to the task.)

I'm quite happy to answer any additional questions anyone has.