[OpenAFS] Re: fs process doesn't exit until I send a signal 9

Mike Polek mike@pictage.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:51:21 -0800

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

   On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Gabe Castillo wrote:

   >>   I had to shut down one of my AFS servers to replace a disk. When I
issue a
   >> "bos shutdown" command, all the processes seem to shutdown, except for
   the fs
   >> process. When I "vos status" the server, it says that the fileserver
has been
   >> disabled, and the sub-status is "in the process of shutting down". Is
there

 >Wait while it breaks callbacks. you can watch the status in
 >/usr/afs/logs/FileLog

---
For what it's worth, I have servers that have thousands of volumes
on each partition. (Ok... maybe a poor design choice, but I didn't
know the single threaded volume server would be an issue when I did
the design...) After 30 minutes, the bosserver assumes that the
fileserver isn't going to stop, and does a kill -9 to stop it.
I'm pretty sure it's just because of the sheer number of volumes
to unmount.

1) Is there an easy way to change the timeout value? I'm not sure
    yet if it's faster to do the kill -9 one minute into the shutdown
    and just let the salvager do it's thing, or if it's better to
    let the shutdown take an hour. I can say that it would be helpful
    to have an emergency procedure that won't corrupt volumes for when
    the shutdown is triggered by a power failure. :-)

2) I noticed that in the 1.3 branch, the volume server is multi-
    threaded. (THANK YOU!!!) Does anybody know how this affects
    shutdown/startup time? Should I still be looking for a way to
    reduce the number of volumes on a server?

3) I've seen references to a "NoSalvage" option. Is that also new
    in 1.3? or is it some sort of patch? Anybody have a really good
    way of dealing with lots of volumes on a server? We currently
    have almost 60T of storage, and it's growing. I like the idea
    of having things well organized into finite volumes... it works
    for our setup.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike