[OpenAFS] crash on AIX 5.2

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:09:27 +0100

I am in the process of tracking down all differences between my good
version and 1.3.77.

I am now not very distant from 1.3.77, and at least one problem seems
to be the new code in afs_pioctl.c for get and set tokens along with
the huge ticket size introduced for compatibilty with active directory.
Keeping the old ticket size and the old code for tokens in afs_pioctl.c
results in a fairly stable client. At least I can get a token, make
clean in the openafs-tree and make dest without crashing the system.
This is certainly not enough testing for putting it into production,
but a hint where the problem may be hidden.

Hartmut

Michael Niksch wrote:
>  > I have compiled 1.3.77 under AIX 5.1 and see the same problem. In my
>  > case the machine crashes after getting a token. It seems to work
>  > before.
>
> I am seeing that same problem with 1.3.77 on all AIX 4.3.3, AIX 5.1, and
> AIX 5.2, both 32 and 64 bit kernel. In contrast to previous versions of
> 1.3, I can at least load the kernel extensions now. Obtaining a token
> with 1.3.77 'klog' from a kaserver causes a core dump, and trying to use
> a token obtained with 1.2.10 'klog' results in a system crash.
>
> Yes, I understand that 'klog' and 'kaserver' are considered more or less
> deprecated, and we are in fact planning to change to a Kerberos 5 setup,
> but this migration will take us quite some time to complete. Also, we
> will need continued interoperability with legacy IBM Transarc AFS cells
> for quite some time to come. So it would be great if 'kaserver' support
> wasn't silently dropped out of OpenAFS already at this point.
>
> So far, I haven't been able to compile ANY version of OpenAFS client to
> work on AIX 5. The server code might be less problematic as it doesn't
> involve kernel extensions, but I am also still running 1.2.11 server
> binaries compiled on AIX 4.3.3 on my AIX 5.2 servers.

Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)