[OpenAFS] Re: Woah, it seems like it's working (1.3.77+ on 2.6.10)

William John Murray w.murray@rl.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:47:26 +0000

  Thanks all for this. It certainly works nicely with a
2.6.10-1.737_FC3 kernel.
   Two things:
   *) Unexpected bonus! The previous 1.3.77 + 2.6.9 combination
worked find, but I could usually not 'rmmod libafs', so shutdown
of my laptop would hang. This has not happened with this version.
   *) Getting the patches from the WWW archive was a pain. I
had to save the page, rename it to xxx.patch, emacs it to discover
that emacs will not edit patches (it knows they shouldn't be touched?)
vi it to extract the patches, see they were for 1.3.77 but the email was
about snap-14-01-05, sed all the changes, apply the patches, find that
half of them did not work, sed s/-gt;/>/g, still the 'rlim' patch was
not recognised by my system and I had to manually fix it, and then guess
the 'small ftrace.c demangle' which Matthew referred to.
   Now I am very happy to re-check on 14-01-17, but perhaps there is a
better way to store patches than as plain text attachments in  the
archive, so the html reformatting  doesn't have to be undone? Or maybe
it exists already and I didn't know of it?

  But seriously, this is very minor compared with having a working
system again.
    Bill