[OpenAFS] naive questions about openafs

Guillaume Rousse rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:13:55 +0100

I'm interested about being able to use afs from mandrake, because it is
widely used in my institution. However, I'm totally clueless about afs,
so it's a bit difficult for me to figure what is needed exactly.

First, current mdk kernel (2.6.10) ships an afs module. However, looking
at source file, it seems to be a redhat implementation, unrelated to
openafs one.

There is also a package krbafs-utils, described as "A Kerberos to AFS
bridging library", that doesn't seems to be sufficient to access afs
filesystems.

I had a look at the rpm available from openafs website. However it seems
to be uncompatible with kernel 2.6, so I'd have to package devel version
instead, and it would be a lot of work anyway to adapt it to official
mdk packaging policy.

So my naive question is: do I really need openafs for my needs, and how
it is related to what is already in the distribution (kernel module and
krbafs-utils package) ?
--
Everything you like is forbidden.
		-- Axiom