[OpenAFS] setpag: Invalid argument

John Tang Boyland boyland@solomons.cs.uwm.edu
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:41:23 -0600

I'm using OpenAFS 1.2.10 on Solaris 8.  A strange thing had been happening:
pagsh didn't work anymore.  I had a long-going console login (with a PAG)
and within it, a shell that was running a pagsh with a different pag,
but I wasn't able to start up new pagsh's, I got the message:
	setpag: Invalid argument
and no PAG is created.  I tried rebooting, but then I couldn't get any
PAGs at all.

But with some experimentation, I found out what was happening: my
username was in too many UNIX groups: 15.  When I cut the number of
groups down to 11, the problem went away, and I was able to get a PAG.
I found:
/usr/include/limits.h:#define   NGROUPS_MAX     16
That explains it.  Should this setpag behavior be documented somewhere?

John