[OpenAFS] Re: Bos server troubles with Suse 9.0

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:32:33 -0800

ted creedon <tcreedon@easystreet.com> writes:

> The restart was not set up intentionally. It was a default.

> Somewhere in the documentation the subject was mentioned, so I assumed
> it was purposeful.

Yeah, it's been part of the Transarc installation instructions from time
immemorial, or at least longer than I've been running AFS.  I've always
disagreed with it.  There's no need to restart AFS services regularly; it
just incurs unnecessary downtime while the file servers reattach volumes.
We never restart any of the daemons except for the kaserver (and there
only to rotate logs, since we crank the logging way up from the default),
and have been running that way for at least a decade without any
difficulties.

We do have file servers crash every once in a while, maybe one every six
months or so, but it's not clear to me that restarts would do anything to
prevent that.  I've never noticed anything like memory leaks.