[OpenAFS] Re: Bos server troubles with Suse 9.0

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:34:54 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, January 24, 2005 4:32 pm, Russ Allbery said:
> ted creedon <tcreedon@easystreet.com> writes:
>
>> The restart was not set up intentionally. It was a default.
>
>> Somewhere in the documentation the subject was mentioned, so I assumed
>> it was purposeful.
>
> Yeah, it's been part of the Transarc installation instructions from time
> immemorial, or at least longer than I've been running AFS.  I've always
> disagreed with it.  There's no need to restart AFS services regularly; it
> just incurs unnecessary downtime while the file servers reattach volumes.
> We never restart any of the daemons except for the kaserver (and there
> only to rotate logs, since we crank the logging way up from the default),
> and have been running that way for at least a decade without any
> difficulties.
>
> We do have file servers crash every once in a while, maybe one every six
> months or so, but it's not clear to me that restarts would do anything to
> prevent that.  I've never noticed anything like memory leaks.

I think what you are refering to are Bos restart times as indicated in
the BosConfig file (restarttime).
This is not a reboot of the server but rather a shutdown / restart of the
afs processes via the bosserver.
This is not something I want to do since it disturbs a lot of clients that
have mounted afs volumes.
It seems my problems are unique: So far almost every 21 to 26 days the
bosserrver and volserver just stop running. The server itself continues to
hand out files but I can't do any volume management till I reboot the
server.
/sd

> --
> Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Steve Devine
Storage Systems
Academic Computing & Network Services
Michigan State University

301 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra