[OpenAFS] Avoiding NTFS and FAT

ajpearce ajpearce@ajpearce.co.uk
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:50:04 +0000

I originally looked at OpenAFS as a way to avoid using NTFS and FAT as
I'm serving files to Unix clients and looking for full Unix support.

But I see that AFS on Windows works off the back of NTFS anyway.

I'm sorry if this is a little offtopic but what can we use instead of
NTFS and FAT?

"There are no good NFS server implementations for Windows platforms.
NFS implements traditional UNIX file ownerships and permissions, which
don't map well to FAT (which has no notion of permissions) or NTFS
(which has more advanced ownership and permission capabilities).
Windows also has no notion of a symbolic link or a block/character
special file. Consequently the best that one can hope to achieve is a
clumsy emulation of a UNIX-like filesystem."

- from http://diet-pc.sourceforge.net/windows/etherboot-w2k.html#nfs

Some related links:

http://www.osronline.com/lists_archive/ntfsd/thread4942.html
http://www.osronline.com/section.cfm?section=20