[OpenAFS] Avoiding NTFS and FAT

ajpearce ajpearce@ajpearce.co.uk
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:38:01 +0000

"Then install Samba on the Linux machines and smbmount the NTFS
filesystems from the Windows servers.  Most of us are looking at trying
to go the other way to get the Windows servers out of the picture."

I don't trust NTFS. I work in returns and repairs and see people
losing thier data all the time (by the way I've seen hardware RAID
fail too. You'd be amazed what goes on in the Windows world). When an
NTFS volume breaks I personally don't know how to fix it other than
`chkdsk /r`. Only if there is no other way do I want to resort to
this. I'm suprised there aren't alternative filesystems available.

The reason why I'm trying to do this is such:

I usually have 2 computers; one linux, one Windows.
 But I'm moving home so that one of those computers will be shared and
they want Windows. The Windows computer will be in the living room.
I don't want a noisy power hungry linux server in my bedroom running
24/7 keeping me awake so I've removed everything but the motherboard,
memory, PSU and added 64mb flash storage.
 This will be enough for browsing but for more functionality I need to
get the Windows computer to act as a decent file server. In my eyes
this means getting rid of NTFS.

However, this seems _impossible_. Even though Windows provides the
possibility by a driver API known as `LFS`. While LFS has been used to
create rudimentry access to ext2 filesystems (I think EXPLORE2FS uses
it's own method of read only access), I have found them to be
UNRELIABLE. This includes Paragons` Ext2Anywhere.