[OpenAFS] Avoiding NTFS and FAT

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:20:49 -0600

ajpearce wrote:

> The reason why I'm trying to do this is such:
>
> I usually have 2 computers; one linux, one Windows.
>  But I'm moving home so that one of those computers will be shared and
> they want Windows. The Windows computer will be in the living room.
> I don't want a noisy power hungry linux server in my bedroom running
> 24/7 keeping me awake   so I've removed everything but the motherboard,
> memory, PSU and added 64mb flash storage.
>  This will be enough for browsing but for more functionality I need to
> get the Windows computer to act as a decent file server. In my eyes
> this means getting rid of NTFS.

All this discussion about trying to use Windows as the file server
for your home network? if you don't trust NTFS, why do you trust Windows
at all?

So buy another linux machine for a file server, and put it in your
living room.  You can run AFS on it if you want too.

If you really only have two machines, and the one is going to
act as a file server for the one you are going to turn off,
why do you even need a file server?  Just use local disks on it.
The data does not need to be online if the only machihne accessing the
data is off anyway.