[OpenAFS] vos examine oddity

Dexter Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:34:27 -0700

Right, the last part is the VLDB entry (vos listvldb, identical).

The third line (after the line with the prompt, below) is the one that I
thought was odd:

[kim@angel kim]$ vos exa root.afs.readonly
root.afs.readonly                 536901459 RO         10 K  On-line   <<<<
    magic.lab.ccre.com /vicepa
    RWrite  536901458 ROnly          0 Backup          0               <<<<
    MaxQuota       5000 K
    Creation    Fri Jan 28 08:03:29 2005
    Last Update Fri Jan 28 08:03:29 2005
    0 accesses in the past day (i.e., vnode references)

Jeffrey Hutzelman has clarified things nicely in his other email.  Jeffrey,
I rephrase here to see if I got it:

First line, " root.afs.readonly                 536901459 RO         10 K
On-line  " , refers specifically to the volume being examined, saying in
effect "This particular volume is a type RO volume with volID 536901459"

Second line is location " magic.lab.ccre.com /vicepa"

What Jeffrey clarifies is that the next line is _not_ about the specific
volume being examined, but instead gives information about the volume
"family" of which this volume is a member.

So " RWrite  536901458 ROnly          0 Backup          0     "

reads

I have a parent RW, ID 536901458.
I, the RO volume, am not replicated.  (There may be other replicas like me,
but I myself am not the source/parent of any replica)
I, the RO volume, do not have a corresponding Backup volume (My parent RW
may have a Backup volume, but I am not the source/parent of any Backup
volume)

Which is very interesting and informative.

Thanks much Jeffrey and Russ.  Nothing like another detail to chew on.

I particularly like the RO restore example, where the RO is its own parent
-- i.e. not parented by a RW as is the predominant case.

Kim