[OpenAFS] Starting OpenAFS on FC2/OpenSSI

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:07:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Ron Croonenberg wrote:

> [root@oort init.d]# ./afs start
> Hmm...  I can't seem to find an AFS kernel module suitable for your
> Linux
> kernel.  That means you will need to build or obtain a suitable module.
> The following information may be of some use in obtaining assistance:
> CPU Type:       1586.intel.4
> Linux version:  2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_ssi_9smp #1 SMP Sun May 15 16:44:47
> BST 2005
> RedHat release: Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
> Symbol versions:
>   highmem_start_page smp_eb99ba48
>   highmem_start_page smp_eb99ba48
>   iget4_locked smp_0d2b2ce6
>   sock_create smp_855a9d74
>   sock_create smp_855a9d74
> Did not find matching module in SymTable
> AFS module /usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_ssi_9smp.mp.o
> does not exist. Not starting AFS.
>
> Now, since I never had to build a libafs,  how do I build one for this
> kernel version ?

Well, that's not surprising; you're not running any of the standard
kernels that comes with FC2, so you should expect to build your own
module.

Install the openafs-kernel-source RPM.
In /usr/src/openafs-kernel-XXX you will find a README file.
Follow the instructions in that file.

-- Jeff