[OpenAFS] afs directory

Michael Norwick mnorwick@centurytel.net
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:27:55 -0500

Rodney M Dyer wrote:

> At 04:45 PM 7/9/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Is there a method for finding, or list of, the contents of public afs
>> cells?
>

> I'm not sure what you mean.  If you mean simply to perform a "dir /s
> /b" (windows speak), or "ls -al" (unix speak) of any AFS cell, then
> yes, it is quite simple.  You just go to "www.openafs.org" and install
> the OpenAFS client for your operating system.  All AFS cells that
> aren't behind firewalls are public, at least if the organizations
> running the cells have published their cell server addresses in the
> CellServDB (included with the OpenAFS client).  Once you have your
> OpenAFS client working and an AFS cell is mounted, then you should be
> able to use "dir" or "ls" to look inside any cell.  However you won't
> be able to "see" anything you aren't authorized to see.  You will only
> be able to list and open the contents of directories that have
> "system:anyuser rl"  (rl -short for read, look).
>
>> Where can I find the current krb-afs source code within the afs network?
>

> AFS and Kerberos 5 are separate code bases, and neither is "in" the
> AFS network.  You can find the source code for AFS at
> "www.openafs.org".  You can find MIT's Kerberos client and server
> source code at  http://web.mit.edu/network/kerberos-form.html
>
> Hope this helped.
>
> Rodney

Well, not quite.  I've had a test cell up and compiled several versions
of OpenAFS, my network uses kerberos authentication to ThisCell via
krb524.  I just
put together another AFS client using 1.3.84 and while testing I was
noodling around the various cells and was wondering whether there was
any easier
way to find the contents of public cells other than ls(ing) their
contents.  Being a purist I wanted to find the migration kit via AFS
rather than googling
around the web.  Considered a Perl script but I am not sure how many
sysadmins I would piss off searching their archives this way (I try to
be a good
netizen).  So, there it is.
Thanks,
Michael