[OpenAFS] afs directory

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:15:40 -0700

If you fire up a windows client with the default CellServDB you should see
all those afs cells when you click on the mapped drive in explorer.

After a while, that is. Ditto for linux.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Rodney M Dyer
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 1:04 PM
To: Michael Norwick; openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] afs directory

At 03:27 PM 7/10/2005, Michael Norwick wrote:
>Well, not quite.  I've had a test cell up and compiled several versions
>of OpenAFS, my network uses kerberos authentication to ThisCell via
>krb524.  I just put together another AFS client using 1.3.84 and while
>testing I was noodling around the various cells and was wondering
>whether there was any easier way to find the contents of public cells
>other than
>ls(ing) their contents.

I'm still unsure about what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to catalog
every bit of information you can from other cells?  What information do you
want out of other cells?  It's just a bunch of directories and files, just
like your local disk.  Enumerating the entire contents of a cell that isn't
yours is frowned upon by cell admins if you haven't been authorized, but it
isn't exactly "illegal".  Anything that is "open" for you to get to is
probably ok since it hasn't been locked down with ACL's by the cell admins
anyway.  Why would other people cells be of any use to you?

>   Being a purist I wanted to find the migration kit via AFS rather
> than googling around the web.

That certainly isn't the way to go about it.  Trying to find a file in AFS
by searching through cells is like searching the internet one IP address at
a time.  Again, AFS cells are just a bunch of directories and files that you
can mount like NFS, CIFS, SMB, NCP, etc.  There is little to no organization
below the cell name that is common among cell admins.  It is just like
looking at files on my hard drive.  You would have no idea of where to look,
or what file name to look for on my hard drive.

>   Considered a Perl script but I am not sure how many sysadmins I
> would piss off searching their archives this way (I try to be a good
> netizen).  So, there it is.

If you want to find out about AFS then use:

      http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/WebHome

Choosing WebIndex gets you:

      http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/WebIndex

It isn't like the migration kit is hard to find or anything.  Just googling
on the keywords "AFS migration kit"  (no quotes) gives me...

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/UserInfo/Resources/Software/kerberos/afs_krb5_migra
tion.html

Look at the bottom of that page and you will find...

      ftp://ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/kerberos5/

Good luck.

Rodney