[OpenAFS] New Cell on debian with krb5 and afs-newcell script

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:43:52 -0700

Lars Schimmer <schimmer@cg.cs.tu-bs.de> writes:

> I just setup a new cell on debian using the scripts in the package.  For
> all: it was NOT as easy as just running the scripts.  First: in the
> afs-newcell I added a line to add the IP to the server/CellServDB.
> Without that entry, bos couldn't find the local server.  After that
> Script in the server dir of preferences the CellServDB and ThisCell was
> on localcell, maybe Ok, but I changed it to the real data.  And for
> debian specific: I told the openafs-client not to start while debconf
> installed it. That has to be changed after running that script, or the
> afs-rootvol didn't run.  OK, I managed to entry a user without the
> /admin tab from krb5 as afs-admin, so I had problems getting admin
> token...

> Everything is real annoying, still after 1 year experience with OpenAFS.
> But you won't start a new cell in every day, or?

I'm going to try to look at this as soon as I have a chance.  However, it
would be *really* useful for me if you could, for *each* separate problem
you encountered, submit a bug against the relevant OpenAFS package in
Debian using reportbug.  In each bug, please state what you were trying to
do, what you typed, what happened, and why it wasn't what you expected.

One of the difficulties with developing automation for processes that
those of us who know the code well can do easily by hand is that we
sometimes overlook things that trip up others who aren't as familiar.  The
better documentation you can give me of exactly what you expected and
exactly what you typed, the better.  Even if the problems look obvious,
they often aren't to me.

Thanks!