[OpenAFS] Compressed source code...

Sir Clark Frazier Hale I xlark@sdf.lonestar.org
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:51:01 -0400

Rodney M Dyer wrote:
> In the original thread on the web page I commented that clicking on the
> "openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.bz2" actually causes the IE browser to download
> it as "openafs-1.3.85-src.tar.tar".  This is strange, but even more
> strange is the fact that I can't do anything with the resulting file
> like I was able to in the past.

I've seen this before on other web sites.  I think that OpenAFS.org's
web site reports the MIME type of a .bz2 file to be application/x-tar or
something like that.  IE renames the file based on that MIME type.
Netscape 7 on Windows sometimes does this, too.

> I Google'd and found this http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=BZ2
> about ".bz2".  WinZip doesn't understand this file type so it didn't
> install a MIME Type info into Windows.  I suppose I can install WinRAR
> personally, but our group doesn't own a license for it.

You may want to try 7-Zip.  http://www.7-zip.org/  Supposedly pretty
good, although I've never tried it.

> Did OpenAFS.org need to change the compress type from "gz" to "bz2" for
> some reason?  I would rather see the most common compressed type that
> all uncompressors can use.  Does OpenAFS.org need a license to use ZIP?

Bzip2 has a much better compression ration than gzip, and is fairly
common on UNIX-like systems.  Pretty much all Linux & *BSD systems
include it by default, and so does Solaris.

Clark

--
Sir Clark Frazier Hale I
xlark@sdf.lonestar.org