[OpenAFS] Documentation - again

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:57:25 -0700

Suffice it to say I can always make pdf's from html's so the source format
(Latex, docbook) is not too relevant to a pdf specific deliverable.

In terms of direction I think we need:

1. An Operation and Maintenance Manual - The semantics of AFS are only
covered in Campbell's book which is out of print. A new book is needed.
In particular:
A. Large and small installation examples need to be added.
B. Jeff Alberry's perl administration tools need to be included.
C. Ken Hornstein's Kerberos 5 conversion needs slight updating and inclusion
D. The existing kaserver (KRB 4) needs to be depreciated and replaced with
KRB 5.
E. Building AFS from sources needs to be added, including appropriate KRB5
material.

2. The syntax which is well covered in the IBM docs needs updating.

3. It is a requirement that the style follow the IBM "Typographical
Conventions" in the front of each manual. The conventions do not specify
what is to be hyperlinked or indexed.

4. The Latex version has some hyperlinking but it is not as extensive as the
IBM htm's. The Latex version does not support indexing although it could
with yet more perl scripting.

Note: The IBM indexing is 2 or 3 levels deep, i.e. subject, sub-subject,
subsub-subject. This needs a project in itself to implement.

I recommend getting the textual part of any additions & improvements done
first, we need content ASAP.

If we wait for the perfect embodiment of the sources in Latex or DocBook,
nothing will ever get done.

tedc