[OpenAFS] Compressed source code...

dave dave@muse.net.nz
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:58:35 +0200

Jim Rees said the following on 2005-07-18 00:47:

>Bzip2 isn't that much better than gzip, maybe 20%.  OpenBSD includes gzip
>but not bunzip2, I think due to licensing restrictions

I'm running OpenBSD & I don't have a problem with bzip2

 $ pkg_info | grep bz
bzip2-1.0.2         block-sorting file compressor, unencumbered

its available on the ftp package sites or you can build it from source.
It annoys me that I can't untar directly -- .e.g /tar xvjf
<stuff.tar.bz2>/ but thats hardly a major imposition...

a more AFSy interesting question, I see Jim has worked occasionally on
AFS/OpenBSD previously. But it appears not to be a platform of choice
(for the server side) at the moment. is this something that requires
fixing the makefiles (probably within my meagre expertise) or is this
something that needs lots of coding?

if this turns into a major thread I'll rename the subject :-)

cheers, Dave