[OpenAFS] troubleshooting afsdb

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:52:22 -0400

On Saturday, June 11, 2005 09:29:32 PM -0700 Adam Megacz <adam@megacz.com>
wrote:

> I'm putting together an extremely minimal boot cd to bring up a system
> and run just about everything off of afs.
>
> Right now everything's working great except AFSDB.  Dynroot works
> fine, so long as I provide the cell servers manually or in CellServDB.
> But unlike my desktop, the machine doesn't seem to be able to find
> cells that aren't in CellServDB.
>
> I tried recompiling with the configure-debug flags on, but nothing is
> showing up on either the console or AFSLog.
>
> So, how do I get openafs to tell me what's on its mind?

If you're thinking about debugging, you should probably be asking about it
on -devel.  However...

- As indicated by the help, the various 'debug' switches in configure don't
  cause AFS to emit more or more interesting messages; they cause the code
  to be compiled with debugging support.  This is useful if you plan to use
  a debugger.

- For the most part, the cache manager does not emit lots of messages.
  If you want to know what's going on inside, you need to use tools like
  cmdebug, xstat, and kdump.  Possibly you want to add some temporary
  code to emit messages at points you care about.

- Did you run afsd with -afsdb?  After AFS starts up, is there still an
  afsdb process running?  Is it actually going to be possible to do AFSDB
  lookups (i.e. does DNS work, was afsd started in a wierd environment, etc)