[OpenAFS] another problem with vos release

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:36:57 -0400

On Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:09:40 PM +0200 Frank Burkhardt
<fbo2@gmx.net> wrote:

>> So far so bad. How can I stop that transactions? Does OpenAFS end them
>> without any further interaction or do I have to be rude?
>
> OpenAFS ends a transaction after some minutes (default: AFAIK 10 minutes).
> Use 'bos restart [fileserver] fs' to immediately cancel all transactions.

The volserver will end an _idle_ transaction after a certain period of
time.  An active transaction (one on which there is an RPC in progress) can
last for a long time.

The volume in question is reported as 76813001 K, or about 76GB.  That's a
pretty large volume, and may well take more than 2 hours to move or release.

Note that the "transaction is older than..." messages do not mean anything
is wrong; they're just reporting how long the transaction has been going
on.  For a large volume it's quite normal for a move to take some time.

Also, while restarting the fileserver will indeed cause transactions to go
away, it also results in a service outage while the fileserver shuts down
and then restarts.  If all you want to do is abort outstanding
transactions, a much quicker approach is to send SIGTERM to the volserver.
This will cause the volserver to be restarted without interrupting file
service.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer