[OpenAFS] another problem with vos release

Hans-Gunther Borrmann hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:30:27 +0200

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 16:48, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >    RWrite: 536871953
> >    number of sites -> 2
> >       server leda partition /vicepa RW Site  -- New release -- Old
> > release server atlas.cg.cs.tu-bs.de partition /vicepb RO Site  -- Old
> > release -- Old release
>
> I couldn't help noticing that you don't have a RO volume on the same
> machine as the RW copy.
>
> This once happened to us here on one volume (don't ask; someone here
> INSISTED that it didn't cause any problems).  I noticed "weird"
> behavior during vos releases.  I can't quantify "weird" anymore than
> that; it was strange and it was a while ago, and I pestered people
> until it had a RO on the same machine as the RW copy, and the weirdness
> went away.  I could easily believe that not having a RO copy on the
> same machine as the RW copy would be a corner case that isn't tested
> that much, and maybe it would be worth putting one there just to see if
> it solves some of your problems.

What I noticed in this situation  was , that "vos release" of a "large" volume
took an incredible long time. "large" in this case meant ~100000 Files.
Having an ro on the same server reduced the time to a normal value.
Hans-Gunther Borrmann <hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de>
Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg
Hermann-Herder-Str. 10, D79104 FREIBURG
Tel.: +49 761/203-4652