[OpenAFS] San Storage & AFS servers

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:08:43 -0400

Russ Allbery wrote:

>Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu> writes:
>

>>Looks like we are getting a SAN. Anyone out there using a SAN for your
>>afs file servers?
>>

>Yup, we're using SAN pretty extensively.
>

>>Any gotchas out there? My understanding is that the lun looks like an
>>attached local drive so I can't imagine it won't work.
>>

>Not really, no.  As soon as you get the storage available as a drive, AFS
>just works fine.
>

>>The question is whether its a good use of expensive storage.
>>

>If you get more reliability out of SAN disk, then it depends on whether
>you put critical data into AFS.  We certainly do, so we've been happy
>with the additional reliability we get from our SAN.

I question how best to configure our servers. Currently we have Dell
Poweredges with dual controllers attached to split bus disk shelves
with  ( 10 )36gig drives mirrored to provide (5 )36Gig volumes that we
mount as /vicepa  /vicepb ; etc.
Do we set up one lun as /vicepa and make it say 180 Gig as this would
represent the aggregate size of the old disk shelves?
Or can I go up to 256/ 512 Gig?  I realize this is not something that
can be objectively answered (My mileage may vary).
I am interested however in how others have configured their file servers
and what size they are setting their volumes.

Thanks for your help.
/sd

--
Steve Devine
Storage Systems

301 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra