[OpenAFS] San Storage & AFS servers

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:53:57 -0700

Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu> writes:

> Do we set up one lun as /vicepa and make it say 180 Gig as this would
> represent the aggregate size of the old disk shelves?
> Or can I go up to 256/ 512 Gig?  I realize this is not something that can
> be objectively answered (My mileage may vary).
> I am interested however in how others have configured their file servers
> and what size they are setting their volumes.

We prefer to break things out into more individual partitions and make the
partition size the same across all AFS servers even if the total space is
different, mostly so that we can easily evacuate partition by partition
onto other servers.  I'm not sure it really makes any significant
difference except for concerns like that.

We try to keep volume size under 5GB because moving single large volumes
takes a long time and therefore there's more opportunity for something to
go wrong in the middle of a volume move, but AFS can handle volumes much
larger than that.