[OpenAFS] Delay caused by loopback adapter?

patrick daniels patrick.daniels@duke.edu
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:49:08 -0400

I've yet to fully test this, but I'm curious whether anyone has seen,
and/or has a solution for the following:

After installing AFS client (Noticed this with 1.3.8x releases, but could
have happened previously), when I right-click on icons on desktop to get to
context menu, there is a significant lag of 15-30 seconds, before context
menu will pop up.  During this time, the network icon on taskbar shows back
and forth communications, regardless of whether or not the icon in question
has anything to do with network.  After this initial delay, subsequent
right-clicks don't always cause delay.  Seems to be linked with how much
time since last right-click or drive explore.

I can similarly see such delays, when exploring HD structure.

I've seen similar behaviors (totally unrelated to AFS) when having a
networked printer mapped, that is no longer connected.  That's why I was
wondering if there was either something with loopback adapter, or
interaction with AFS.

Any thoughts, or suggestions on how to investigate this cause?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick S. Daniels .......... Asst Director, Desktop Resources
A&S Computing, 026 Old Chem..... Tel:  (919)660-2401
Duke University .......................... Fax: (919)660-3187
Durham, NC  27708-00226 ...email: patrick.daniels@duke.edu