[OpenAFS] Failing to "cd /afs" after fresh install

Kristian Du kristian@hitech-sanita.it
Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:58:43 +0100

Il giorno dom, 06-03-2005 alle 17:39 +0100, Kristian ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I've just finished setting up a new AFS server from source, but for some
> strange reason I cannot seem to be able to gain admin privileges.
>
> I have created user admin correctly and even after a successful "klog
> admin" I do receive a (apparently) good token. Here's a runtime spool of
> my attempts:

> myhost:~# klog admin
> Password:
> myhost:~# tokens
>
> Tokens held by the Cache Manager:
>
> User's (AFS ID 1) tokens for afs@afs.mycell.it [Expires Mar  7 19:51]
>    --End of list--
> myhost:~# cd /afs/
> -bash: cd: /afs/: Permission denied
> myhost:~# fs setacl /afs system:administrators rlidwka
> fs: You don't have the required access rights on '/afs'
> myhost:~# fs setacl /afs system:anyuser rl
> fs: You don't have the required access rights on '/afs'
> myhost:~#
>
> Furthermore, a "df" command correctly returns the 9GB bogus AFS
> filespace mounted under /afs.
>
> This is actually my second installation of an AFS server after a
> successful one. Not sure if I did anything differently, but it must
> be! :) What's going on? Any ideas?

	Solved!

Someone might find this helpful one day ;)

Basically, at install time I ran the following configuration command to
setup the server crypt key, which I suppose it is used as common key for
inter-server communication (tell me if I'm wrong) AND for authenticating
users using the cache manager to access a server:

	bos addkey $myserver -kvno 0 -cell $mycell_name -noauth

to this command I responded with the password I assigned to user
"admin", and THIS was the mistake. After spending sometime retrying the
installation steps I typed in the afs user password and there it was!

bye now.

--
Kristian Du