[OpenAFS] difference in fs checkservers

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:33:31 -0500

On Tuesday, March 08, 2005 09:40:17 -0700 David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu>
wrote:

> I think I posted this before, but don't remember getting an answer.
>
> I've noted that there is a difference in what fs checkservers reports
> depending on if I run it from linux, or from windows.
>
> The linux fs checkservers allways reports that all servers are
> running.
>
> The windows version seems more 'correct' in that it reports when some
> servers are unavailable.
>
> Why should there be the difference?

This is probably due to confusion over what 'fs checkservers' actually
does.  What it does _not_ do is check to see if all of your fileservers are
up.  Rather, what it actually does is report which servers your client
believes are down.  This list will never include servers which your client
has never tried to access.  So, you will get different information on each
client, depending on what servers that client has talked to.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer