[OpenAFS] difference in fs checkservers

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:48:11 -0700

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 03:33:31PM -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 08, 2005 09:40:17 -0700 David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >I think I posted this before, but don't remember getting an answer.
> >
> >I've noted that there is a difference in what fs checkservers reports
> >depending on if I run it from linux, or from windows.
> >
> >The linux fs checkservers allways reports that all servers are
> >running.
> >
> >The windows version seems more 'correct' in that it reports when some
> >servers are unavailable.
> >
> >Why should there be the difference?
>
> This is probably due to confusion over what 'fs checkservers' actually
> does.  What it does _not_ do is check to see if all of your fileservers are
> up.  Rather, what it actually does is report which servers your client
> believes are down.  This list will never include servers which your client
> has never tried to access.  So, you will get different information on each
> client, depending on what servers that client has talked to.

Okay. this explains the difference. I guess my next question should be
is there a utility that actually does a quick check of the health of
all file servers in your cell?

Since we are so highly distributed between 4 campus, we could have
file servers on one campus that become unavailable. Since AFS does
such a good job at providing 'server independance', it would be nice
to have something that would explain why /afs/asu.edu/somewhere/in/afs
is not working..

Is there something thats part of the afs suite of utilies, or has
someone already scripted it?