[OpenAFS] which rpms for redhat elws 4.

Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:35:24 -0500

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:40:40PM -0500, Rudolph T Maceyko wrote:
> We require that each binary kernel be installed on the build system,
> just as each kernel-source package needs to be installed to build the
> packages for 2.4 kernels.
> IMO it makes more sense than trying to avoid the issue the way those
> "other" 1.3.x RPMs for 2.6 kernels do :-)

There's several problems with it, though. First, as Derek notes, you can't
build i586 and i686 kernels. Second, and even more troubling to me, you
don't get repeatable builds. If you switch your update build machine, you
might lose track of all of the kernels you're trying to support. And, bugs
in the current version of RPM itself make rpm operations very, very slow if
you have large numbers of the same package installed.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>