[OpenAFS] which rpms for redhat elws 4.

Rudolph T. Maceyko rtm@cert.org
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:51:06 -0500

--On Tuesday, March 08, 2005 06:35:24 PM -0500 Matthew Miller
<mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:

> There's several problems with it, though. First, as Derek notes, you
> can't build i586 and i686 kernels

Hasn't been relevant for us; we have nothing below i686 (and don't run
AFS in the boot kernels).  It takes a long time to build for i386 and
i586 when they're never going to be used...  We build x86_64 on another
box.

> Second, and even more troubling to me, you don't get repeatable
> builds. If you switch your update build machine, you might lose track
> of all of the kernels you're trying to support.

More troubling to me is having to repackage the kernel build source;
it's far easier for me to have a script that makes sure all of the
kernel packages we're interested in are installed on the box before
building AFS (or other kernel-dependent software).

> And, bugs in the current version of RPM itself make rpm operations
> very, very slow if you have large numbers of the same package
> installed.

Maybe so, but it's not been an issue.

This may very well be one of those I-don't-like-the-way-you-do-it and
You-don't-like-the-way-I-do-it issues; which is fine.  Derek will have
to figure out which approach is best for the standard RPMs.

Gotta go,
Rudy