[OpenAFS] which rpms for redhat elws 4.

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:36:19 -0500

Jason McCormick <jasonmc@cert.org> writes:

>> This is kind of what I was thinking of too. And hey, why not make that
>> wrapper script be the "main" RPM specfile itself? (With an option for just
>> building the kernel modules, of course.)
>
> Putting it all into the RPM defeats the objective of what I'm trying to
> accomplish at several levels.  What I'm really aiming for is to have some
> sort of text file that lists the kernels you want to build for (if you
> don't want to build for the default running kernel).  Something along the
> format of:

I don't think these two goals are mutually exclusive.  For example,
take a look at how the kernel SPEC file works.  You can provide a
specific target platform if you want to build for a specific version,
or it will default to building all targets if you do not provide
anything.  This seems pretty reasonable to me.

Then the next question is how to build for multiple kernel versions at
one time (in addition to multiple target architectures).  This could
be done via a config file (e.g. an extra SOURCE), a 'find', or some
other method.

I do like the ability to use a bunch of bzipped header-files for each
of the kernels we want; I don't think I want those files to be stored
as part of the SRPM.

> %{KERN_VERSION},%{ARCH},(%{ARCH} | ''),(${KERN_BUILD_PATH} | '')
>
> I have, since my last e-mail, collapsed that SPEC files together to better
> manage Source and Patch files.  There's a series of configuration options
> one can set to control build behavior.  I'm hoping to have something put
> together by the end of the week, but this week is already getting away from
> me....

I'm hoping to finally find the time to work on RPMs either later this
week or next week.  If there's any chance I could get you guys to send
me your .spec files and other ancillary scripts (via personal email?)
I would appreciate it.  I feel no need to re-invent the wheel if I can
just use work that you've done.

I need to go through my saved mail and try to find the rpm patches
that David Howells sent me last year.  I figure that in the end it
doesn't really matter where the ideas come from. ;)

-derek