[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Gentoo

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:25:25 +0100

* Lars Schimmer [2005-03-14 15:33:19 +0100]:
> If you are really using 1.2.10, you are using a old version, even gentoo
> should
> have 1.2.13 packages (or the 1.3.7x).

Unfortunately, Gentoo's AFS maintainer seems to have gone to sleep.
Many bugs have been opened on bugzilla.gentoo.org about various
aspects of their OpenAFS packages over the months, and none of that
information has been reflected in portage snapshots so far. The last
entry of any significance in the ChangeLog is dated 2004-02-19.

It is quite possible to run OpenAFS on Gentoo (I'm doing that with decent
stability) but you have to roll your own ebuild. If you want to see mine
(1.3.7x only, as my main interest in Gentoo is amd64-related),
ask privately; I haven't yet incorporated all the patch suggestions in the
BTS, so I don't feel like publishing my solution as canonical.

> Go and have a look at your gentoo-repository and watch out for a newer AFS
> version than 1.2.10.

Latest in is 1.2.11. It's masked "~x86 ~alpha ~ia64", stable on none.
So a minimal suggestion would be to add a "net-fs/openafs ~*" line
to /etc/portage/package.keywords, then re-emerge openafs. I insist:
that's only a minimal solution, and reading the BTS is highly recommended.