[OpenAFS] can not change a backup or readonly volume

Esther Filderman Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com>
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:29:27 -0500

Ok, you're rather confused here.

Cells are not RW and RO.  Volumes can be, if RO clones are created of
RW volumes.

By default when a cell is created there is a RW tree and a RO tree.
/afs/yourcell.com/foo is RO
/afs/.yourcell.com/foo is RW

Note the . before the cell name.

Each server does not need to be one volume. Most people put multiple
volumes on as many servers as they want.  Adding a new server to a
cell is not the same as adding new volumes.  One is physical
[hardware, an actual machine], one is more logical [a section of disk
space that AFS sees as a volume].

When you created your cell you should have had a step where you
created a RO clone [vos addsite; vos release] of root.afs and
root.cell.  This is where your RW and RO trees were created.

If you skipped this step you missed an important part of your cell creation.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:50:52 -0500, rc647bob@netscape.net
<rc647bob@netscape.net> wrote:
> Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The simplest question is:  is /afs/mycell a RO volume?
>
> What I'm doing is adding another server to an existing cell.  I'm
> pretty certain the existing cell is RW since I can actually RW to the current server.  The problem is trying to add the other server to the cell.
>

> >try mounting at /afs/.mycell/etc.  Then release your RW volume.
>
> ok, so this is my result:
> fs mkmount -dir /afs/mycell/myserver2-afs -vol 536571001 -cell mycell; vos release -id 536571001
> fs: You can not change a backup or readonly volume
> Volume 536571001 has no replicas - release operation is meaningless!
> VOLSER: illegal operation
> Error in vos release command.
> VOLSER: illegal operation

Your result is useless since this is not what I asked you to do.  I
asked you to mount at /afs/.mycell/etc not /afs/mycell/etc, then
release root.cell.