[OpenAFS] can not change a backup or readonly volume

Dexter 'Kim' Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:40:25 -0700

I'm not sure why you want to create a directory for a fileserver, and assume
you understand that it's not necessary and that you have some reason for
doing so.

Try this:

fs lq /afs/mycell
fs lq /afs/.mycell

I notice in the output you reference:

> >try mounting at /afs/.mycell/etc.  Then release your RW volume.
>
> ok, so this is my result:
> -------------
> fs mkmount -dir /afs/mycell/myserver2-afs -vol 536571001
> -cell mycell; vos release -id 536571001
> fs: You can not change a backup or readonly volume
> Volume 536571001 has no replicas - release operation is meaningless!

You've left out the "." in front of "mycell"

The conventional cell configuration uses an RW mount point at /afs/.mycell

The default behavior of the AFS client is to go to an RO volume from an RO
volume, and the AFS client bases its decision on whether or not there is an
RO entry for the volume in the VLDB entry for that volume.

I suspect that if you "vos listvl root.afs" you'll find that it is
replicated.

This means that the AFS client will automatically go to an RO instance of
root.afs

I also suspect, given your results, that if you "vos listvl root.cell"
you'll find that it is also replicated, and that "fs lsm /afs/mycell" will
reveal that the volume "root.cell" is mounted at /afs/mycell.

If this is all correct, then "fs mkm /afs/mycell -vol ...." will try to
create a mountpoint in a readonly instance of root.cell and will fail with
the message you're getting.

If the cell was set up in the conventional manner, "fs mkm /afs/.mycell"
will successfully create the mountpoint in the RW instance of root.cell --
mind the "."

Which is what Esther was suggesting.

If /afs/.mycell does not get you to the RW instance of root.cell you'd do
well to create /afs/.mycell -- if this is the case and you're not sure how
to create it, post post again :)

Kim

Kim (Dexter) Kimball
CCRE, Inc.