[OpenAFS] AFS in a solaris 10 zone? How about Linux/Xen VM?

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:53:19 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Dan Pritts wrote:
> From what I understand of Linux & Xen i'd think it *ought*
> to work but what i can imagine all sorts of pitfalls...

I think so too. I have set up an Athlon XP2200+ with 512 MB Ram to host
8 XEN-Instances. Each was running a Heimdal-Server. They were running
happily.

What I did not achieve was to assign physical memory dynamically to a
partition. It is said to be possible, but I had no time left to test it.

One really big advantage of XEN is the virtual networking device. Each
instance has its own IP-Number assigned. In the partition 0 there
appears a point-2-point-interface which can be added to a virtual switch
(aka bridge).

AFS-Fileservers and AFS-Clients should run. But of course each
XEN-Instance needs its own /vicepX or AFS-Cache-Partition.

regards

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemmnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204