[OpenAFS] AFS in a solaris 10 zone? How about Linux/Xen VM?

Pavel Semerad semerad@ss1000.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:08:39 +0100

> Hi all -
>
> I'm looking at various server virtualization techniques
> and two options that look very interesting are the "zones"
> in solaris 10, and Linux/Xen.

  Direct competitor to solaris zones in linux is
http://linux-vserver.org/ . I am using this and it works. AFS client is
running in global vserver and is "mount -o bind" mounted to other
vservers.

> Anyone know if I can get at the AFS filesystem in either
> of these?

  I think that on solaris it is possible to do the same way. Run afs
client in global zone and loopmount it to other zones. If you need afs
only in one zone, you can mount it to /xx.../zone1/afs insted of /afs
also.
  I will try this in near feature, bacause I am reinstaling my solaris
machines to solaris10.

> I don't really know anything about the solaris zones so i am
> not sure what would be required.
>
>  From what I understand of Linux & Xen i'd think it *ought*
> to work but what i can imagine all sorts of pitfalls...

  If afs kernel module is not doing bad (from xens perspective) things,
it should work. I haven't try this yet, but i will in longer future too :-)

Pavel Semerad