[OpenAFS] AFS in a solaris 10 zone? How about Linux/Xen VM?

Robert Banz banz@umbc.edu
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:54:23 -0500

> Near as I can tell, the only way to get AFS in a solaris zone is to run
> afsd in the global zone.  This is because zones are not full
> virtualization, but merely isolation from other processes and the
> fair-share scheduler to allocate resources to the zones.  I have not
> tried it, but it seems like it should work.

The couple "caveats" i've found with running AFS in the global zone...

	1) UID-associated tokens are associated across all zones (including the
global.)  PAGs work fine, but I've got a couple things that rely on UID
association...
	2) To get /afs to appear as /afs in all of the zones, you use the a
loopback mount.  However, since this loopback mount doesn't look like
it's in AFS in the zone, PIOCTLs don't work.  Anyone think of a workaround?

-rob