[OpenAFS] AFS in a solaris 10 zone? How about Linux/Xen VM?

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:45:24 -0500

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:54:23AM -0500, Robert Banz wrote:
> >Near as I can tell, the only way to get AFS in a solaris zone is to run
> >afsd in the global zone.  This is because zones are not full
> >virtualization, but merely isolation from other processes and the
> >fair-share scheduler to allocate resources to the zones.  I have not
> >tried it, but it seems like it should work.
>
> The couple "caveats" i've found with running AFS in the global zone...
>
> 	1) UID-associated tokens are associated across all zones (including
> 	the global.)  PAGs work fine, but I've got a couple things that rely on UID
> association...
> 	2) To get /afs to appear as /afs in all of the zones, you use the a
> loopback mount.  However, since this loopback mount doesn't look like
> it's in AFS in the zone, PIOCTLs don't work.  Anyone think of a workaround?

I'm a bit hazy on AFS internals, but in this context, PIOCTLs means
anything on the list below?

  http://grand.central.org/pages/numbers/pioctls.html

If so that's a pretty big list of limitations.  Like, can't get a token.
Am I interpreting this correctly?

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile