[OpenAFS] Killing defunct afs processes

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:11:33 -0500

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 15:41 +0100, Horst Birthelmer wrote:

> The processes you were trying to kill are from a crashed _client_ and

Right.  I should have mentioned that I was running 1.3.80 as both server
and client as opposed to strictly a client.  Perhaps I should try
running it strictly as a server and see if it acts better.

> there is no known way of getting rid of them than rebooting.
> (At least no way known to me ;-) )

Bummer.  Do they interfere with other afs processes?  Meaning, if I were
to try starting up other instances of these processes with the os in
this state, would the defunct ones interfere with the new ones?

man ps mentions these sorts of processes, but doesn't go into much
detail about them.  Do they consume memory and cpu time and other
resources or are they more artifacts than anything else?  IOW, must I
reboot (for the sake of stability) after being in this state?

> The Server doesn't use any kernel stuff on linux so any process will
> terminate on a signal 9.

Ok.  Thanks for your reply Horst.

--
-Kevin