[OpenAFS] Killing defunct afs processes

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:37:20 +0100

On Mar 24, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Kevin wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 15:41 +0100, Horst Birthelmer wrote:
>
>> The processes you were trying to kill are from a crashed _client_ and
>
> Right.  I should have mentioned that I was running 1.3.80 as both
> server
> and client as opposed to strictly a client.  Perhaps I should try
> running it strictly as a server and see if it acts better.
>
>> there is no known way of getting rid of them than rebooting.
>> (At least no way known to me ;-) )
>>

> Bummer.  Do they interfere with other afs processes?  Meaning, if I
> were
> to try starting up other instances of these processes with the os in
> this state, would the defunct ones interfere with the new ones?

I've never successfully done that, since it's just a client that
crashed... :-)
If it's running on a server I won't reboot the server but get to
another machine for administration purposes.
I said "succesfully" since it happens that some client gets started
again after crashing (by any script ... etc.) and that never helped. So
I can't answer this one for sure.

> man ps mentions these sorts of processes, but doesn't go into much
> detail about them.  Do they consume memory and cpu time and other
> resources or are they more artifacts than anything else?  IOW, must I
> reboot (for the sake of stability) after being in this state?

Well, your client crashed. How can one know what they're actually
doing?? :-)
For stability, they don't do any harm but no good either.

Horst