[OpenAFS] Killing defunct afs processes [was: 1.3.80 won't make on Gentoo Linux i386 2.6.11-r3]

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:22:35 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Kevin wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 20:52 -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
>> Change inode to ip on that line and the next line.
>
> Thanks, Derrick.  That fixed it.
>
> While I'm here, can someone offer me any pointers on killing defunct
> (and related) afs processes?  I'm still having problems with running
> 1.3.80 as a server and I frequently end up with defunct afs processes
> that won't die after being sent a signal 9 with kill -9 or killall -9.
> The only way I know to do it now is rebooting and that's getting old
> fast.
>
> Eg.
>
> root     27834  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    07:09   0:00
> [afs_rxlistener]

> These have all been sent signal 9 multiple times with kill -9 PID or
> killall -9 process_name.

I suggest you stop trying to kill them, seeing as they're not defunct, and
then stop rebooting when they don't go away, because they're not supposed
to.