[OpenAFS] Killing defunct afs processes [was: 1.3.80 won't make on Gentoo Linux i386 2.6.11-r3]

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:23:44 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Horst Birthelmer wrote:

>> Thanks, Derrick.  That fixed it.
>>
>> While I'm here, can someone offer me any pointers on killing defunct
>> (and related) afs processes?  I'm still having problems with running
>> 1.3.80 as a server and I frequently end up with defunct afs processes
>> that won't die after being sent a signal 9 with kill -9 or killall -9.
>> The only way I know to do it now is rebooting and that's getting old
>> fast.
>>

> The processes you were trying to kill are from a crashed _client_ and there
> is no known way of getting rid of them than rebooting.
> (At least no way known to me ;-) )

Actually, yes, I suppose if they're from a client which failed to start
completely (e.g. you got an oops instead of the client starting) that's
correct.