[OpenAFS] 1.3.80 server strangeness (kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r3)

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:34:11 -0500

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 14:13 -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Kevin wrote:
>
> > My question here is, should it not be the case that starting bosserver
> > automatically starts up all of the processes listed in BosConfig?  If
> > so, why didn't fileserver and volserver start up with bosserver?  Why
> > was it necessary for me to issue that second command starting up fs?
>
> because at some point you bos stopped them and it remembers the status it
> had before. so until you bos start them, they are shut down forever.

Oh.

Sure enough.  Starting up bosserver again this time brings them up.

> > *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xb7c9c010 ***
>
> So you're hitting a bug which killed the bosserver. I wonder if purify
> would help, and who has a license these days.

I just Googled for purify... Would that be something that I would run
(as opposed to some genius developer guy like you) to try and locate the
bug?  So am I the only one seeing this problem?  Geez... what's so odd
about my setup...

What are the implications of being in the state where all of the server
instances are running but the bosserver is not?  Is that bad news?
Should I kill -9 the other servers ASAP (since I seem unable to do so
with bos stop from any server or client) or is continuing to run for a
while ok?  I've noticed that if I run bosserver again (without killing
anything), I get two copies of all these server instances.  Is that bad?

Thanks again.

--
-Kevin
http://www.gnosys.us