[OpenAFS] 1.3.80 server strangeness (kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r3)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:37:42 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Kevin wrote:

>>> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xb7c9c010 ***
>>
>> So you're hitting a bug which killed the bosserver. I wonder if purify
>> would help, and who has a license these days.
>
> I just Googled for purify... Would that be something that I would run
> (as opposed to some genius developer guy like you) to try and locate the
> bug?  So am I the only one seeing this problem?  Geez... what's so odd
> about my setup...

probably a different glibc version or somesuch, luck of the draw. the
person who suggested valgrind might have a point but i have never tried
it.

> What are the implications of being in the state where all of the server
> instances are running but the bosserver is not?  Is that bad news?
> Should I kill -9 the other servers ASAP (since I seem unable to do so
> with bos stop from any server or client) or is continuing to run for a
> while ok?  I've noticed that if I run bosserver again (without killing
> anything), I get two copies of all these server instances.  Is that bad?

kill -9 is bad. a clean shutdown is better. they can run until you want to
start a new bosserver, but don't kill -9. don't try to outclever them, you
will be sad.